Please check out the photo link at the right to see a couple pictures from my time here so far.
Every day I will walk from the house in town to the Wasser Schloss (Water Castle) It is a beautiful walk and includes woods, a stream with many bridges and a field with a long gradual sloping path. When i first walked up this hill, the girls I was with called it "long, slow, death." I thought this an absurd name for a walk that I found very enjoyable, especially relative to the walk I used to take in Seattle. Yesterday, however, when I had a bit more time to enjoy my walk, I read the sign: "Langsamer Tod"-slow death! The walk was actually called that and I didn't realize the girls had only added long. The name derives from when the Ruppersdorf residents had to carry heavy loads of linens into market in Herrnhut.
I am pleasantly surprised at my use of German, but know that I am still very limited in my knowledge-but at least I get to use what little I know.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
I am bummed I missed your call today, but I was busy being a nerd. Harvey Mansfield delivered a really good lecture about constitutional conservatism. I love you and I miss you. Talk soon! Davey
Good to see your photos. I'll try to catch you on skype (you called during class--poo!). Loves.
Thanks for the communique, Libs. Do you have snuggy clothes for walking in the wetness? I will see if mom can send some pictures of our time at Sun Mountain. It was very beautiful and invigorating. Can you come home for fish & chips this Monday for Grandma Lou's birthday? OK, I will see you then.
Post a Comment